Patient Privacy and Personal Health Information
Statement of Information Practices at Hamilton Health Sciences
Collection of Personal Health Information
We collect personal health information (PHI) about you directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may include, for example, your name, date of birth, address, health history, records of your visits to Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS) and the care that you received during those visits. Occasionally, we collect personal health information about you from other sources, if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits.
Uses and Disclosures of Personal Health Information
We use and disclose your personal health information to:
- Treat and care for you,
- Get payment for your treatment and care from OHIP, WSIB, your private insurer or others,
- Plan, administer and manage our internal operations,
- Conduct risk management activities,
- Conduct quality improvement activities,
- Compile statistics,
- Fundraise to improve our health care services and programs,
- Conduct research as approved by the Research Ethics Board
- Notify a representative of a religious or other organization to visit you during your stay
- Conduct patient satisfaction surveys
- Confirm that you are a patient, your general health status and your room and telephone extension while in hospital
- Locate you or your family in urgent/emergent situations using an overhead paging system
- Facilitate the federal and provincial governments' goal of providing Canadians with an electronic health record. This will improve patient safety, reduce wait times, avoid duplicate testing and enhance timely access to your health information by your health care provider. As these systems become established your Hamilton Health Sciences information will be stored securely on shared health information databases, accessible only by your authorized health care provider.
You may withdraw your consent for the following uses and disclosures:
- Confirmation of your inpatient status
- Religious representative notification
- Patient satisfaction survey
- Some federal/provincial electronic health information systems
You may access and correct your personal health records. Please contact us for more information on accessing, correcting or withdrawing your PHI.
- We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal.
- We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance.
- We take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protects your privacy and only use your personal health information for the purposes for which you have consented.
How to Contact Us
For more information about HHS privacy protection practices, or to raise a concern you have with our practices, contact us:
Chief Privacy Officer
Hamilton Health Sciences
Ewart Building Room 311
559 Sanitorium Road
Telephone: (905) 521-2100 ext. 75122
Fax: (905) 318-5571
Do not send personal info via email or fax
You have the right to contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario if you think we have violated your rights. The Commissioner can be reached at:
Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario
2 Bloor St. East, Suite 1400
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8
Tel: (416) 326-3333 or 1-800-387-3333
Fax: (416) 325-9195