Community Parent Education Services (COPE)
Phone: (905) 521-2100, ext. 77295
Fax: 905 577-8453
Community Parent Education Service
354 King Street West
What is Community Parent Education Services (COPE)?
COPE conducts courses, workshops and educational events for families with 3-12 year old children who have challenging behaviour. Courses specifically designed for families of children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are also available.
- Meet once a week for two hours
- Courses are free and easy to access within the community
- Child care is available at many sites
Parents learn skills to:
- Increase positive behaviour
- Avoid conflicts
- Encourage cooperation
- Respond to aggression
- Set priorities
- Solve problems
In COPE, parents:
- Share ideas with other parents
- Talk about common problems
- Learn about useful community services
- Watch helpful videotapes
- "I'm dealing with my son better"
- "I feel more confident"
- "I feel calmer and don't get as angry as I used to"
- "Very helpful as a single parent"
- "Getting together with other parents was very helpful"
- "I should have taken this course sooner!"
Other workshops that are also available throughout the year:
- COPEing with Homework
- COPEing with Impulsive and Forgetful Children
- COPE presents: 1-2-3 Magic
COPE courses start four times a year, in the fall, winter, spring and summer at various community locations and at different times of the day. Some locations offer child care.
Please call (905) 521-2100 ext. 77295 for information or to register.
The Community Education Service is a part of the McMaster Children's Hospital, Hamilton Health Sciences. It is committed to research and education. The Community Education Service provides regular student placements for a variety of disciplines.
The staff and clients participate in Client Satisfaction Surveys and we use a program specific satisfaction survey for each group we offer. Outcomes and reviews are reported yearly and guide the service's development.